You might think that the author of a long-running series of mystery novels would get bored long before he got to number 33. And that it would show. But that’s most certainly not the case with Jonathan Kellerman. Night Moves—yes, it’s the 33rd Alex Delaware novel—is just as tense and suspenseful as the earliest entries in the series. If anything, Kellerman’s skill at plotting has grown apace with the growing expertise of his principal characters. Both LAPD Detective Lieutenant Milo Sturgis and clinical psychologist Alex Delaware continue to shine as they investigate a truly baffling murder.
Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
A dead body with no face and no hands has turned up on the floor of the study in a well-to-do LA suburban home. The residents insist they have no idea who the man might be. So, when Milo is called to the scene he quickly turns to Alex to help him unravel what appears to be the work of a deeply troubled mind.
For Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis, a truly baffling murder
But there is a likely suspect just next door. He’s an underground cartoonist with a pronounced taste for cruelty and gore. And complications emerge as disturbing facts turn up about the family who owns the home where the body was found and about others among their neighbors. This is a case that will test Milo and Alex’s investigative skills to the limit.
Night Moves (Alex Delaware #33) by Jonathan Kellerman (2018) 442 pages ★★★★☆
For related reading
Among the other Alex Delaware novels I’ve reviewed here are the first three:
- When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware #1) — When a child psychologist uncovers the key to solving a murder
- Blood Test (Alex Delaware #2) — This complex murder mystery hinges on the symptoms of schizophrenia
- Over the Edge (Alex Delaware #3) — Psychological expertise enlivens this crime thriller involving gifted children
You might also enjoy my posts:
- Top 10 mystery and thriller series
- 20 excellent standalone mysteries and thrillers
- 30 outstanding detective series from around the world
- Top 20 suspenseful detective novels
- Top 10 historical mysteries and thrillers
And you can always find my most popular reviews, and the most recent ones, on the Home Page.